Sunset At Raquette Lake

Sunset At Raquette Lake
Block I trip to Camp Huntington

Thursday, November 3, 2011

Music For The Mind

Over the past week in my education courses, the musician Gary Lamb was briefly mentioned and praised for his music that helps children learning in the classroom. I decided that this sounds like something I would like to do in my future classroom and went to research more about Gary Lamb. What I found, I LOVE!

Gary Lamb worked hard to create the Music For The Mind series which is a series of CD's that is meant for classroom use. Each song is approximately 60 beats per minute (BPM). Why use music in the classroom, and why specifically 60 BPM? Research shows that music can help reduce stress, increase cognitive functioning, and improve productivity and creativity. Studies also show that using music that is 60 BPM is most effective because it is the same tempo as a resting heart beat. Using this tempo is what calms us and puts us in that state of relaxed alertness (AKA- what you want in your classroom for your students!).

Each CD in the series serves it's own purpose such as "problem solving," "reading and writing," and "productive flow." Each individual album is ideal for different things and all work together to enhance the learning experience of the students. The total series cost about $70 dollars and it contains 6 albums. However each album can be bought separately for $15. I think this is a GREAT deal! When I get my future classroom, I definitely plan on buying this series. Gary Lamb uses the piano wisely as a way to enhance learning that has been shown to work!

Click Here Check Out Gary Lamb!
.

3 comments:

  1. I love the idea of having music in the classroom. The students in my host classroom insist on having music while they write. The only problem is it's the Lion King, and Kim K said it should be something they are unfamiliar with. Im so glad you looked into that more. Looks to be like something that would be very useful in the classroom. =]

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amanda, I am very impressed with the quality of your posts. I also am very intrigued by the information on Gary Lamb. Thanks for the additional information.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amanda,
      I am doing a scientific study on Gary Lamb's Music for the Mind, for the NASA Endeavor Stem Education program through Columbia University. I am so happy to find your blog! I am interested in what you find out after using it for a longer time!

      Thanks!

      Delete