Sunset At Raquette Lake

Sunset At Raquette Lake
Block I trip to Camp Huntington

Sunday, October 9, 2011

My First Field Observation for Block One!

Last Thursday I gathered my paperwork, grabbed my coat and headed for my placement in a third grade classroom. As soon as I walked out of the office and through the halls of my host school, I was overwhelmed by the differences it had from the elementary school I attended. There was more than one floor, it was small, and the gym had a stage at the front of it! I continued into my classroom to find it different as well. It was smaller, there was a white board instead of a chalkboard, and desks were in two large groups instead of rows.

As I went through my day at the school I felt rushed immediately from one thing to the next. There was no time to even take a sip of water. My feet were killing me from my heels and my throat was parched. The students were only in the classroom for a math lesson and then were off in other places until I left. I worked with many students who needed help with their math work and then had no interaction with them the rest of my time. When they were away I was grading their classwork, sharpening pencils, and making copies of pages to put together packets. I hope this goes differently the next time I go in.

I felt like more of a "Teacher's Pet" instead of my own emerging teacher. I want to lead a lesson for students and I want to get to see and know the students better. I hope that the reason they were gone half of the time was because it was the morning. Perhaps their afternoon schedule is mostly in the classroom. I am hoping to lead both a history and a ELA lesson that I plan. I spoke to the teacher about this but did not get a concrete answer yet.

Overall, I would say my first day participating in the third grade classroom was a bit overwhelming but a positive experience. Things did not exactly go as I planned, there were problems with kids who temporarily had problems staying focused. However, I did work with many students and made that initial impression that I wanted to make. I connected with the students quite well considering the minimal amount of time I had with them. Hopefully this week I will be able to make that same connection to more of the staff and the rest of the class that I was unable to work with.

I am so excited to be in a classroom again doing what I want to do!

2 comments:

  1. I can understand why you would feel that way. Maybe the teacher wants to slowly get you involved in the classroom. You have lots of time to be involved with the students. I am glad you are having fun being in the classroom again. It is crazy thinking that we will have our own classroom sometime soon!! =] Hope everything goes well with figuring out a date to do those lessons you have planned!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree! I found the non-stop nature of their day to be a little exhausting. It made me wonder how it must be for them!

    ReplyDelete